Treasured by Leigh McLeroy

What do you collect?
What do you treasure?

My 9 year old son collects STUFF. I was cleaning his room recently and opened the top drawer of his dresser to find his collection. I was not expecting to find it there. As I looked over his collection, I caught a glimpse of who he is. After pulling out the trash (candy wrappers-- he's a sugar addict with ADHD!), I found some really interesting stuff:

* 22 batteries (I don't know if they work)
* several pieces of yarn, different lengths and colors
* paper clips
* empty containers, put to new use
* pencils and post-its
* rocks
* a stapler (yeah, I bought this for him... I was frustrated with him constantly using mine!)
* miscellaneous other items....

When I finished looking through this drawer, I thought about tossing some of the stuff... quite a bit of it seemed like trash, refuse, just plain unusable. Then I thought about my son. He would notice it was gone and when he found out I tossed it, he would be hurt. He treasures this stuff. In a way, it defines him: he is inventive, curious, busy and brilliant. Everything in that drawer has a purpose for him.







In this same manner, God has treasures. This is what Leigh McLeroy describes in her book, Treasured: Knowing God by the things He Keeps. What are some of the things God treasures?

* a fig leaf
* a fresh olive sprig
* Abraham's Knife
* a scarlet cord
* one smooth stone

In 13 easy-to-read chapters, McLeroy opens our eyes to how and why God treasures this and other items... and that most of all, God treasures us. Included, at the end of the book, is a "personal reflection and group discussion guide" to help the reader figure out "What's in Your Box?".

Treasured would be a wonderful Book Club read or a great gift. It is encouraging and eye-opening... it a book for a fresh new start with God.

For more information visit : Random House or Leigh McLeroy


Leigh McLeroy is the author of The Beautiful Ache and The Sacred Ordinary. An avid collector and recorder of everyday moments, words, and wonders, Leigh’s keen eye for God’s presence in ordinary life infuses her writing and living with a deep, insistent joy. A frequent conference and event speaker, the author makes her home in Houston, Texas, and posts often on www.leighmcleroy.com and www.wednesdaywords.com.

Comments