I Am Hutterite By Mary-Ann Kirkby

I Am Hutterite is an amazing story of one family's trials and joys of being part of a very conservative, peaceful religious group in a world that doesn't see things like they do.

I was very interested in reading this book, because I have actually seen/met a few Hutterites. In August of 2007, I caught my first glimpse of them during a mission trip to Canada. They stood out because of their differences, and I wondered exactly why where they different besides their dress. They reminded me a lot of the Mennonites in our part of the continent (CO), but instead of the plain clothes of the Amish and Mennonites, their dresses were colorful and their head coverings were polka-dot.


Here is a picture of the one group we saw while helping at the annual Taber, Alberta Cornfest. This picture was taken in August of 2007.




I digress... I Am Hutterite is Mary-Ann Kirkby's true-life story of being born into the life of a Hutterite and what happened during that time and afterward when her family left the colony and struck out on their own. It's an amazing story of courage and love and the gifts she received from the colony, her family.

It was a great book and an easy read. I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is interested in how others live. If you are reading this and you've been to Canada with me... GET THIS BOOK! Read it, enjoy it and remember to continue reaching out to them!

For more information check out Thomas Nelson publishers.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I was born and raised in a Hutterite colony and still live in one in the midwest. It's been so interesting to learn what other ppl think of the culture and lifestyle. I have my review on this book posted on my personal blog. The author of the book emailed me corrected an error I made...I stated that in most colonies these polka-dotted headcoverings weren't wore anymore. She informed me that they were by different branches of Hutterites. Check out my review if you can find the time.

    http://blogs.allhutterites.com/lightofevenstar/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment