The Dragon and the Turtle Go on Safari by Donita K. Paul and Evangeline Denmark


Let me begin with this, I REALLY like Donita K. Paul's writings.  I have read quite a few of her books, met her in person and passed books on to others.  LOVE her! 
So, I chose to review this new little book for children looking forward to loving it as much as I did her other books. Unfortunately, I didn't fall in love with it.  The Dragon and Turtle Go on Safari is a good book.  It has a good lesson to the story (Scripture reference is Deuteronomy 31:6) and I love that there is a page of conversation starters in the back of the book.  Also, I loved that these two ladies included "the story Roger Did Not Get to Tell."  I was very happy for that.  I enjoyed reading this book with my four year old daughter and she enjoyed listening and looking at the pictures, but I think it was too long for her and written above her head.  As we read, we discussed the pages and I simplified, but as it is written I would say it is for 6-8 yr olds. Also, it would have been nice to have some part of the book that clued us in to the pronunciation of the dragon's name... I have not read the first The Dragon and the Turtle book, but maybe it explains how to say the dragon's name. 
Anyhow, all in all, I say it's a good book with agreat lesson on being courageous and God's faithfulness.

Comments