51WtZgXpL-L._SS500_.jpgPatchwork Dreams by Laura Hilton is not the normal Amish book.  I really love to read novels about the Amish. I have read so many over the years and, although they show the humanity of the Amish, none has come further with that than Patchwork Dreams.  WOW!


Becky Troyer has finished her running around years with an unwed pregnancy and being the outcast of the community.  She feels that she will never marry for love because of her sin.... she will be destined to marry a widower who just needs a housekeeper/mom for his children, but she wants to feel love just like any other woman.  


Jacob Miller has had a steady girl, Susie, for some time, but his parents don't think she is good for him. His dad arranges for him to leave the community and move to the community of Seymour where he can "help his cousin" who has only daughters.  


Jacob meets Becky and wonders why she doesn't smile... he sets out to make her smile while remaining faithful to Susie.  They have both been deeply wounded by those they loved and this seems to draw them to each other.   


Will Jacob honor his pledge to return to Susie or will his relationship with Becky win out?  They must both work through the hurts they have experienced in life and find love on the other side.



Author Bio:

Laura Hilton graduated with a business degree from Ozarka Technical College in Melbourne, Arkansas. A member of the American Christian Fiction Writers, she is a professional book reviewer for the Christian market, with more than a thousand reviews published on the Web. Prior to Patchwork Dreams, she published two novels with Treble Heart Books: Hot Chocolate and Shadows of the Past, as well as several devotionals. Laura and her husband, Steve, have five children, whom Laura homeschools. The family makes their home in Arkansas. To learn more about Laura, read her reviews, and find out about her upcoming releases, visit her blog at http://lighthouse–academy.blogspot.com/.

An Interview With Laura:

How has being published changed your life? 
Well there’s a lot of administrative stuff that I didn’t know about beforehand. And a lot of things that take me out of my comfort zone. I’m naturally a shy quiet and private person, and suddenly I have to be more willing to talk about what I’m doing. 

What is your current work in progress?
I am starting the third book in the Amish of Seymour series, which will be Becky’s friend, Annie’s story. 

What would be your dream vacation?
Oh, well, I would love to spend a month or two in Michigan (our whole family loves Michigan and we missed it when we moved away) and just poke around the lighthouses, waterfalls, etc. that make the state great. Also, if I ever have a chance to go overseas, I would love to see Big Ben and visit some of the European castles. Also, I’d love an extended stay at an Amish bed and breakfast.

How do you choose your settings for each book?
Well, most Amish books are set in Ohio and Pennsylvania because that is where the largest communities are. I chose to set mine in Seymour, Missouri, because there is an Amish community there. Missouri is an untapped setting for Amish stories, and it was close enough for me to drive up there for research. 

If you could spend an evening with one person who is currently alive, who would it be and why? 
Oh, Beverly Lewis. When I grow up I want to write like her. I’d love to talk writing with her. 


What is your most difficult writing obstacle, and how do you overcome it? 
My most difficult obstacle was trying to write in the living room with five children! I’ve gotten pretty good at blocking out noises though. Unless the children are fighting or crying I can work through it. 

Comments