Heaven is For Real by Todd Burpo


Before I started reading Heaven Is For Real, I had heard a lot of "hype" about it - "Everyone should read it!", "Amazing story!", "I cried all the way through it!" and so on.  I hate to admit it, but I usually steer clear of books, movies, music, etc that enthralls the masses.  Yeah, I'm a rebel like that, haha.  

Anyhow, when I had the chance to review this at no cost to myself, I said, "Why not? Let's see what the hype is all about."  So, I got the book and read it... with a box of tissues at my side, in amazement.  Mmmmhmmm.  I did cry through much of it and it is an amazing story.  It also makes you THINK about your priorities in life and what's to come in the future.

Colton Burpo had an "out of body" experience during which he went to Heaven.  Through his various and sporadic revelations of that time, we see that Heaven Is For Real and Colton's experience of Heaven  actually matches up to what the Bible says about Heaven.  It amazes his parents when he talks about his older sister that died, when his parents had never told him they had miscarried a baby.  It's also amazing when he tells them about Todd's Grandfather that Colton had never met.  Colton talked about the beautiful rainbow in Heaven and about seeing his dad fight in a battle against Satan.  The biggest thing that stood out to me, was the fact that in Todd's weakest moment [when Colton's life was in danger], he cried out to God and God was merciful and spared Colton's life.  We can share our anger with God, and not only does He understand, He loves us anyway.

So, if you hear a lot of positive hype about this book-- BELIEVE IT!  It's an excellent read, and would even make a great book to give as a gift!

Comments