Asenath by Anna Patricio



Kiyah lives in a small fishing village between a the Nile River and the jungle.  She is happy and has everything she needs.  One day, her world is shattered when a warring jungle tribe falls upon the village tearing it to bits and kidnapping her along with many others and separating her from her parents.  She lives as a slave and is nurtured by an older woman that is taken with her.

Eventually, her own people (the Egyptians) come to her (as well as the others that were taken) rescue.  She is returned to her village, but finds herself alone.  She is taken to the orphanage in the city where she is trained as a temple servant.  One day, while she is in the market place, she sees a slave that has been beaten and mistreated.  She cannot fight the urge to comfort him, so she shares her canteen of water... knowing that she could get into trouble.  As she is shoved away from him, the slave looks at her and smiles with eyes that she will never forget. 

Her life changes in the years to come, she is adopted, her name is changed to Asenath and she is given everything she never knew she wanted or needed.

Joseph, was sold into slavery by his brothers. He was taken far from his own home and mistreated.  He came to work in a home where he became well trusted, until the mistress of the house came on to him and then accused him of trying to rape her when he said no!  What was to happen to him now?

This is the story of Asenath and Joseph and how their lives intertwined over and over again. Can they overcome all the trials and tribulations of life and find a way to enjoy their blossoming love?  What about the God of Joseph? How does He plan to work all things for good?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I really enjoyed this book and felt that it was well written!  I love when authors pick an "obscure" character of the Bible and embellish and fill in their lives for us to have a glimpse of what they might have been feeling and what they possibly went through.

Anna Patricio has taken Joseph's wife, Asenath, and brought her to life in this book. Patricio has woven an intricate story of happiness,  absolute terror, sorrow and mourning, healing, hope and love in Asenath.

My only dislike with the entire book is that Patricio uses the word "b*tch" twice.  I was actually shocked the first time I read it and then I was surprised that curse words only appeared twice... because most books that I've read that have curse works in them have way more that two.   Since, I went in to reading this book with the thought that it was Christian Historical Fiction, I wanted to find out from the author why she used this word.  Here are her own words:


"I used the B-word first because Asenath was in the throes of anger and frustration, especially as it concerned her hated enemy Potiphar's wife; and secondly because it is in character with Potiphar's wife (who said it the 2nd time). However, as you can see, both uses were reprimanded.

In short, I put it to make the novel realistic. Sorry if it made you uncomfortable, though mind you I don't talk like that in my everyday speech. " 

So, as a warning... this book does contain two incidents of 1 "bad" word.  If you are like me, you read more that just Christian Fiction, so you see this in other books, I just wanted to warn you.   I would definitely recommend this book and this author.  Anna Patricio was very gracious about my asking her questions and I feel that she is a promising new author!

Here is a trailer for her book:


Check her out on Amazon.com or at her blog: Anna Patricio.


Comments