Walking With Bilbo: A devotional adventure through The Hobbit by Sarah Arthur

I'm sure you've seen the previews and heard the hype about the new movie, The Hobbit, based on the book of the same name by JRR Tolkien. I know it's been a big topic in my household.  When I saw that I had the chance to review Walking with Bilbo: A devotional adventure through The Hobbit, I jumped at it.  



I grew up in a home where The Lord of the Rings Trilogy, The Hobbit and The Similrilian were well-loved.  My dad loved these books... I liked them.  Every year for Christmas my dad gets a JRR Tolkien calendar for Christmas.  EVERY. YEAR.  :)  Now, my 16 yr old daughter is absorbed in them... and has been for many years.  She was definitely a fan before the more recent movies with Orlando Bloom were put out.  So, she is really the reason I wanted to get this devotional -- I wanted to know if it was a good book for her.  

From the Back Cover:

Faith is an ongoing adventure, not simply a one-time choice. "The Road goes ever on and on," as Biblo regularly reminded Frodo.  Once we hear the knock on the door and step onto the Road, there's no turning back. Life will never be the same again.

Are you ready for the adventure?

In Walking with Bilbo, Sara Arthur explores the parallels between our daily Christian lives and the adventure that Gandalf invited Bilbo to take.  Each chapter begins with a quote from The Hobbit, a relate-able story that is relevant to today and the parallel between that and Bilbo's journey, a Bible verse that relates, questions to help the reader in "going further" and a list of Scriptures that correlate to the topic of the chapter (i.e. "The Word on Accepting the Job, The Word on Being Chosen, The Word on Being Wise in God's Eyes).

I read through the first two or three chapters, just to see how they were and I really enjoyed the ability to correlate The Hobbit and Bilbo's Journey to The Bible and our Christian journey.  The chapters are laid out well and I love that there are questions at the end and Scriptures to dig deeper.  I think this is an excellent addition to the library of anyone (especially YOUTH) who enjoy Tolkien and The Hobbit.

For more information on purchasing, please click one of these links:  Amazon.com, B&N.com, or CBD.com.




Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book.

Comments