The Kissing Hand by Audrey Penn



Book Description:

School is starting in the forest, but Chester Raccoon does not want to go. To help ease Chester's fears, Mrs. Raccoon shares a family secret called the Kissing Hand to give him the reassurance of her love any time his world feels a little scary.

My Review:

I sent my baby off to Kindergarten this year.  She was thrilled, but I was a little sad.  I've been "alone with her" for almost 6yrs now and I have enjoyed every moment of it.  About the third day of school, she tells me about "the kissing hand" and kisses my left hand right in the middle. I almost cried. :)  I LOVED it.  I had to read this book and wanted to share it with her.  

So, we got the book.... and read the book and we often still use the kissing hand when we leave each other. Audrey Penn is amazing!  To take such a sensitive thing as separation anxiety, and to turn it into a beautiful story of a mommy and baby raccoon growing up and not apart is just amazing.  I felt that it really did ease that separation anxiety for my little one and myself.  I have glanced at several other books by Audrey Penn and  love that she deals with other issues such as sibling rivalry/new sibling, moving/changing schools, dealing with bullies, death of a friend/family member, and self-esteem.


I would definitely recommend this book for a child heading into something that is new or scary, especially kindergarten, camp or something similar.

Thank you NetGalley for the read!!


Comments