All for a Song by Allison Pittman

All for a Song by Allison Pittman is about Dorothy Lynn Dunbar,  preacher's daughter, obedient one and soon-to-be preacher's wife.  Dorothy Lynn lives in her parents' home and will until she marries Brent Logan, the young pastor who took over her late father's pulpit, and moves into the parsonage with him.  She loves to sing, loves to go to her quiet place in the woods, but isn't really sure who she is or if there is anything else out there for her-- is she marrying Brent because she loves him or because it is what is expected of her??

She takes a trip to visit her married sister and to get fitted for a wedding dress, when her life takes a detour.  She steps into a theater where Sister Aimee Semple McPherson, a charismatic female evangelist,  is preaching the gospel and finds herself faced with temptations she never thought possible.  All for a Song is a coming of age story set in the roaring twenties with all that it has to offer. Can Dorothy Lynn be happy with all that she ever thought she wanted-- her home, Brent and her private worship, or will the thrill of the stage and travel draw her in?

I LOVED this book and can't wait to share it with my friends!!  I really identified with Dorothy Lynn and all the expectations she was meeting... I went straight from my parent's home, to a Christian College, to my husband's home (our home really).  I never strayed from that path... never "sowed my wild oats" or veered from what was expected of me, well, maybe in my mind I did.  I was never "brave" enough to try the things I thought I wanted to do.  I appreciate the fact that the book wasn't a perfect fairytale... there were struggles and temptations, but I loved how the book ended, even though I cried.  I will definitely be recommending this to others.

To Purchase, check out these links:
Barnes & Noble
Amazon.com
ChristianBook Distributors




Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book for my honest review. 


Comments