Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas


About the Book (From Back Cover):

From the world's best-loved spiritual writers, a reading for every day of the holiday season...

Unparalleled both in concept and scope, this new collection of readings for Advent and Christmas offers wisdom, beauty, and spiritual nourishment from a wide spectrum of classic and contemporary sources.

Containing a selection for each day of the Christmas season, from the last week of November through the first week of January, Watch for the Light can be dipped into at leisure or followed as a guide to daily devotions.  Either way, it will give new meaning to the phrase "holiday preparations."

My take on the Book:

This book is a collection of advent readings from some of the most intellectual people I can think of: Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Thomas Aquinas, Sylvia Plath, Madeline L'Engle, C.S. Lewis and more.  That being said, it is a very cerebral book.  I was excited when I received the book... some of my favorite authors are in this book, but when I started reading.... I was very overwhelmed and felt stupid.  I think it was because I started reading at a time when life was crazy-busy and my brain was going a million different directions with life, that I couldn't focus.  My brain was definitely overwhelmed by the words I tried to read on the page.  

The set up of the book is good.  You have an entire Advent-worth of readings from brilliant minds.  One entry a day, that can be read daily or just picked up as you can.  I would definitely recommend this book, but I would also recommend you set aside the time to focus, read and enjoy.  


Comments